Subject: [OpenAFS] Open AFS vs. IBM AFS

Jan Hrabe hrabe@balrog.aecom.yu.edu
Tue, 24 Jul 2001 11:14:45 -0400

> Is any one running a mixed environment of IBM AFS and OPEN AFS?
> We are currently running IBM AFS 3.5 database servers on AIX 4.X
> and we would like to migrate them to new Open AFS on Linux.
> Has anyone done this? Is there anything to watch out for?

We do run 2 AIX 4.3.3.+ AFS 3.6 machines and now we added
RH 7.1 Linux server/client machine. We had troubles with OpenAFS
version 1.0.4a (it compiled but volume synchronization was often
failing). Now we have compiled and installed 1.1.0 and it seems
to work well so far. The only thing we did not test yet are read-write
volumes on this server (all volumes are replicas now). I would
recommend compiling from source as the RPMs put some files in
unconventional (AFS-wise) places which is confusing in the mixed
environment.

Honza