[OpenAFS] 1.1.0 client on RH 7.1

Rudolph T Maceyko rtm@cert.org
Thu, 26 Jul 2001 15:44:26 -0400

Jan,

--On Thursday, July 26, 2001 15:33:02 -0400 Jan Hrabe
<hrabe@balrog.aecom.yu.edu> wrote:

> While I agree it is nice to fit the file location pattern of the
> platform, we should perhaps keep in mind all the other platforms AFS
> runs on. My AIX and Solaris machines have also AFS clients and need
> to use various AFS scripts. From this point of view, it is much easier
> to do so if locations are identical on all of them. There may be
> sites  living in Linux-only world but often it's not so easy.
> Symbolic links to the necessary files seem like a nice solution. The
> links could point the other way though (from /usr/afsws/bin/blah to
> /bin/blah) for higher backwards compatibility.

That's what my openafs-client-compat RPM does.  I think it's also what
Derek has agreed to include in openafs.spec.

> As for the server, I don't see any need for RPM, especially for
> upgrades (at least for us). bos install and the update server work
> quite nicely so it's really just a single machine for each platform
> that needs the manual update. Putting the server files in "system"
> place like /usr/sbin does not seem like a good solution for the
> upserver file distribution. Am I missing something?

Again, the presence of an RPM does not require you to use it!

Anyway, the afs-server RPM is at least good for initial installs.

At our site, even server software is maintained automatically along
with everything else.  Of course, updating the fileservers and
especially the database servers is much more difficult than doing it
for other servers since the software updates live in /afs!  :-)

Rudy