[OpenAFS] 1.1.0 client on RH 7.1

Jeffrey Hutzelman jhutz@cmu.edu
Thu, 26 Jul 2001 17:03:46 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 26 Jul 2001, Rudolph T Maceyko wrote:

> Who says RPMs are not for system-wide network-based distribution?  Of
> course they are!  That's the way we're using them.  That's the way Red
> Hat distributes them too.

I do.  Red Hat may think that everyone with a large site just builds some
custom RPM's and uses RPM for eveything, but I don't, for two very good
reasons: (1) most of my platforms don't run rpm, (2) my software
distribution system is at least twice as old as Red Hat.

> Substitute any other Linux distribution you like in place of "Red Hat"
> above and it's still all true.

Maybe, but it becomes different when you're supporting a dozen platforms,
all of which have different package systems, except for the ones that
don't have a package system at all.  Some of us distribute software in
other ways, and have no intention of changing anytime soon.