[OpenAFS] Re: OpenAFS on Win2k + Novell client: Authentication problem

Thomas M. Payerle payerle@physics.umd.edu
Mon, 4 Jun 2001 13:58:18 -0400 (EDT)

> We're using various versions of the Novell client (4.5 through 4.8) with the
> IBM AFS client 3.6 (patch1 and patch2) and have not seen this behavior.  Are
> you able to manually obtain tokens after logging in?  If you haven't tried
> (re)applying SP6a for NT or SP2 for 2000, try that.
>
> -frank

We haven't started using in a production environment yet, but have used
Open AFS on W2k with Novell Client.  Other than an issue with some accounts
with long passwords (the password in question was 10 chars, presuming doesn't
like stuff over 8), we were able to authenticate (e.g. with accounts w passwds
less than or equal to 8 chars).

There is an authentication related issue that can be resolved with certain
patches, see e.g.
https://lists.openafs.org/pipermail/openafs-devel/2001-January/000419.html
I believe it has to do with whether you are able to use certain hooks into
Windows GINA or not, don't recall details.  Anyway, we needed these patches.
(Also note, I do not believe are in the WinNT binary distribution, at least
wasn't last time I looked).

Tom Payerle
Dept of Physics				payerle@physics.umd.edu
University of Maryland			(301) 405-6973
College Park, MD 20742-4111		Fax: (301) 314-9525