[OpenAFS] OpenAFS file server leaking file handles

Marcus Watts mdw@umich.edu
Thu, 07 Jun 2001 20:56:10 -0400

Jacob Gorm Hansen <jg@ioi.dk> writes:
> From: Jacob Gorm Hansen <jg@ioi.dk>
> To: openafs-info@openafs.org
> Subject: Re: [OpenAFS] OpenAFS file server leaking file handles
>
> Without Mosix, the server still allocs and keeps about one handle per file
> in the untar, but it does not die with 'cannot allocate memory' errors
> as it does when Mosix is compiled in.

Sounds like a descriptor leak to me.  On one machine here at
UM, the fileserver that's been running several days only
has these descriptors open:
	fd/0:           character special (0/0)
	fd/1:           ascii text
	fd/2:           ascii text
	fd/3:           socket
	fd/4:           socket
	fd/8:           socket
When opening files, the descriptors are generally kept around
and used only inside the one RPC; no reason they should pile
up past that.

Have you looked to see what the open descriptors point to?

				-Marcus Watts
				UM ITCS Umich Systems Group