[OpenAFS] campus usage info request

Derrick J Brashear shadow@dementia.org
Fri, 8 Jun 2001 15:40:41 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 7 Jun 2001, Michael Pelletier wrote:

> > We're expecting to move towards OpenAFS in the near future,
> > client-side first and then probably eventually servers as well, since
> > it's appearing increasingly unlikely that Transarc will be able to
> > provide the support and bug fixes that we need.  But that's still
> > being evaluated.
>
> What are the key differences between Open AFS and IBM/Transarc AFS at this
> point in time?  Support issues aside, why would one choose one over the
> other?

The current release version of OpenAFS (1.0.4) has only relatively minor
fixes and a few more ports, and of course you can get source. By and large
it's probably equivalent to AFS 3.6 patch release 1, plus the ports and a
few more fixes.

The next OpenAFS release will have some new features, should be easier to
build, and more bugfixes. We also hope to reintroduce the HP port.

-D