[OpenAFS] redhat 7.1 kernel modules

Jeremy Katz katzj@linuxpower.org
Thu, 21 Jun 2001 16:04:32 -0400

On Friday, June 22 2001, T. Matthew Cocker said:
> I had the same problem with redhat 7.1. I could not compile the openafs src
> or the openafs-kernel src (from rpm) vs the redhat supplied kernel src
> (some thing about missing kernel headers apparently due to redhat playing
> around this the kernel source headers). Solution get a real kernel source
> (kernel.org, either 2.4.2 or 2.4.4) and your problems will go away.

Actually, it's more due to OpenAFS making bad assumptions about where
people's kernel source will live.

According to Linus, the current canonical location to look for kernel
source is /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/build/.  Unfortunately, most 2.2
kernels don't follow this convention (not due to any fault of their own,
they came out before Linus came to this decision.  My packages
(ftp://kickstart.linux.ncsu.edu/pub/realmkit/7.1/SRPMS/RealmKit/openafs*)
do the correct thing at the cost of not working with distributions or
kernels that aren't as up to date.

Cheers,

Jeremy

--