[OpenAFS] readonly/readwrite

Corey Kovacs ckovacs@DEPAUW.EDU
Thu, 01 Mar 2001 13:42:22 -0500

Derek Atkins wrote:

> Corey Kovacs <ckovacs@DEPAUW.EDU> writes:
>
> > i.e. I create readonly volumes for system stuff that I want to have
> > consistant across machines (and not let users muck with). for
> > example if I want to add the latest and greatest copy of my favorite
> > window manager and X, I could make a readonly volume for say
> > /usr/X11 and call it usr.X11, or should it be root.cell.usr.X11?
> > then create a mount point at say /afs/cellname/usr.X11 and symlink
> > it to /usr/X11. Then when I make changes to /afs/cellname/usr/X11
> > I'd do a vos release? Is this correct?
>
> Well, no.  Whenever you create a volume using 'vos create' you are
> creating a RW volume.  You create a RO clone by using 'vos addsite' to
> add a replication site, and then you use 'vos release' every time the
> data changes, to push the data from the RW to the RO volumes.
>
> Clients access volumes based upon how they are mounted.  By default,
> volumes are mounted 'RO', which means the client will use the RO
> volume if one exists, falling back to the RW volume is there are no RO
> volumes in the VLDB.  In order to make changes to files, you need to
> access the RW volume directly, and then release it.
>

> The problem with your solution is that you have no way to access the
> RW volume.  When you create a mountpoint at /afs/<cell>/usr.X11, it
> will default to the RO volumes.  You still need a way to get to the
> RW volume.
>
> MIT does this the way Transarc (used to?) recommend it: When you
> create your root.afs, you make a mount for <cell> as the normal
> mountpoint, and you make a mount for .<cell> as the read-write
> mountpoint:
>
>         fs mkmount -dir my.cell.name -vol root.cell -cell my.cell.name
>         fs mkmount -dir .my.cell.name -vol root.cell -cell my.cell.name -rw
>
> Due to the way parenting works, you can then access all the RW volumes
> in your cell under the /afs/.<cell>/hierachy, whereas you access the
> RO volumes (where they exist) via the /afs/<cell>/hierarchy.

So when I create a "home" volume, by default it will exhibit the behavior I
want (distributed homes) since the client will not find a RO volume because
I have not issued the 'vos addsite' command.  But when I create the volumes
for system binaries etc, I DO issue the 'vos addsite' which then creates the
RO (.usr.X11) volumes which the client tries to use by default, which again
is the way to do it. When I make changes to the RW version (usr.X11)
then I do a 'vos release' on that particular RW volume and the changes will
propogate to the RO volume and then users will have access to the new files.

I think I am starting to get this. The description of the roles that RO/RW vols

play was a big help.

> > Then for users, I create a r/w volume called home or users or whatever,
> > then mount
> > it at say /afs/cellname/home. Now do I create volumes for each user, then
> > mount them
> > at places like
> >
> > /afs/cellname/home/user1
> > /afs/cellname/home/user2
> > then creating a symlink from /afs/cellname/home to /home on each machine?
> > Or can I
> > simply go into that volume and do a mkdir user1, user2 ...
>
> This is up to you.  You probably just want to have /etc/passwd use
> /afs/<cell>/home/user as the user's homedir.  If you symlink /home ->
> /afs/<cell>/home, then you lose the ability to have local accounts on
> machines.

This is actually what I want to do since this is a student lab. I don't see
anyone actually having a "local" account but if they do then nsswitch.conf
is set up to try local files for logins etc first, then LDAP/AFS. Then I could
just have a different home path (/localhome/user).

Thanx again for the help!

--
Corey Kovacs               "I know not with what weapons World War III
Computer Science Dept.      will be fought, but World War IV will be