[OpenAFS] readonly/readwrite

Kelsang, Wangden wngdn@src.uchicago.edu
Thu, 1 Mar 2001 13:01:29 -0600

Corey Kovacs <ckovacs@DEPAUW.EDU> wrote:

> So when I create a "home" volume, by default it will exhibit the behavior I
> want (distributed homes) since the client will not find a RO volume because
> I have not issued the 'vos addsite' command.  But when I create the volumes
> for system binaries etc, I DO issue the 'vos addsite' which then creates the
> RO (.usr.X11) volumes which the client tries to use by default, which again
> is the way to do it. When I make changes to the RW version (usr.X11)
> then I do a 'vos release' on that particular RW volume and the changes will
> propogate to the RO volume and then users will have access to the new files.

I would strongly recommend that you create one volume per home
directory rather than a single volume which contains all home
directories.  Here's why:

  # vos move home.fred server1 vicepa server2 vicepd

With that single command, you can move fred's home directory from one
vice partition to another, and the destination doesn't even have to be
on the same server as the source.  And you can do it while fred is
logged in.  Fred will never notice.

If you have one volume for all the home directories, then moving one
home directory (say, if you want more space) means locking that user
out, moving all the files with tar or something similar, and then
letting them back in.  It's a lot more painful.

Regards,

Wangden
--
Kelsang, Wangden (Buddhist monk)        Technical Manager
Social Science Research Computing, University of Chicago