[OpenAFS] readonly/readwrite

Derrick J Brashear shadow@dementia.org
Thu, 1 Mar 2001 19:54:31 -0500 (EST)

On 1 Mar 2001, Russ Allbery wrote:

> Derrick J Brashear <shadow@dementia.org> writes:
>
> > Would better logging from any of the servers help? If so, do you have
> > ideas for what you'd like to see?
>
> Even better than that would be some way of cleanly rolling logs that
> didn't involve restarting servers and that didn't just delete the old log
> file when the server restarts unexpectedly.
>
> Right now, even if more logging was added, it's semi-worthless since the
> servers tend to trash it at a whim and don't offer an easy way of
> archiving it without incurring service downtimes.

Hartmut Reuter contributed code which when enabled (which I have not by
default as it may be problematic for existing installations) which as I
recall can rename the old log file by date, which is a minor improvement
over the existing situation. The problem ends up, how do you "notice" when
to reopen a log, if you make said log append-always? Opening, logging and
closing would seem to be be an inefficient way to do so. Trapping a signal
and dealing that way would likewise be messy.

-D