[OpenAFS] readonly/readwrite

Russ Allbery rra@stanford.edu
01 Mar 2001 17:04:41 -0800

Derrick J Brashear <shadow@dementia.org> writes:

> Hartmut Reuter contributed code which when enabled (which I have not by
> default as it may be problematic for existing installations) which as I
> recall can rename the old log file by date, which is a minor improvement
> over the existing situation. The problem ends up, how do you "notice"
> when to reopen a log, if you make said log append-always? Opening,
> logging and closing would seem to be be an inefficient way to do
> so. Trapping a signal and dealing that way would likewise be messy.

My preference would be for the servers to act syslogd and most other Unix
servers that write their own log and open the log file for append, always
open the same log name, reopen the same log file after restarting, and to
catch a signal that tells them to close and reopen the log file.

It's a bit more complicated to do this in threaded code, but I know it's
doable, and at least some of the daemons already catch signals to do
various things.

With the above, one can then use all of the same tools one uses for
rotating syslog logs to deal with the AFS logs as well.