[OpenAFS] Volume, and file size limits

Hartmut Reuter reuter@rzg.mpg.de
Fri, 02 Mar 2001 08:44:45 +0100

Thomas Vincent wrote:

> Hi Everyone,
>  From what I have been told.
> There is a file size limit of 2gb.
> A volume size limit of 8gb.
>
> Is this a 32-bit vs 64-bit issue? Can this issue be easily solved. Is
> anyone working on this?

The file size < 2GB is mainly an issue of the offset and size variables
used in the client and in the RPCs. MR-AFS allows on the server side
since two years files >= 2GB, but you could write or read them only
bypassing the kernel code of the AFS client. Since some months I am
working on the client side and we have a rs_aix42 client with large file
support already in production.

The 8 GB volume size limit is only a recommendation. There is no reason
in the coding not to have bigger volumes. It's more a question of
managability and dumping. With MR-AFS you may have data migration and
therefore much bigger volumes, anyway. Our biggest volumes have ~ 800
GB.

Hartmut