[OpenAFS] readonly/readwrite

Patrick J. LoPresti patl@curl.com
02 Mar 2001 12:38:28 -0500

Russ Allbery <rra@stanford.edu> writes:

> Nathan Neulinger <nneul@umr.edu> writes:
>
> > Any particular reason not to just use syslog() period?
>
> Probably okay for volume releases and the like, but if you wanted to
> log everything kaserver does (like we do), the volume is way too
> high for syslog.

I think this choice is better made by the particular site.  It would
be very nice to have syslog (with a configurable facility) as an
option for all of the AFS servers.

Our Linux mail server generates over 30M of mail logs per day, and it
has not been a problem.  Having all the logs use a single mechanism is
a huge win both for log rotation and for automated monitoring.

 - Pat