[OpenAFS] high cpu usage

aeneous@speakeasy.org aeneous@speakeasy.org
Wed, 07 Mar 2001 21:39:28 -0500

> Is there a problem with AFS going nutz and hogging cpu usage? It seems
> that if I have
> OpenAFS on a client and have to restart the server for some reason, the
> client afsd cpu
> usage goes through the roof. Load averages (on the client) above 5 and 6
> are observed.
> When I stop afs and restart it, all is well. until I restart the server
> process... or it restarts
> itself which also seems to cause the problem..  any ideas? I am new to
> AFS in general
> so this might be obvious to you all.

Are you sure the CPU usage is high?  I've seen something like this before
where the load average suddenly spiked up but the actual CPU utilization was
reasonable. No, I can't explain how that could happen, but that was what I
observed.  It did seem related to timing out on VL servers.  What OS are you
running?