[OpenAFS] Re: OpenAFS Project List

Geoff Silver geoff@uslinux.net
Fri, 16 Mar 2001 10:18:34 -0500 (EST)

I would be particularly interested in helping out with the 2GB file
size/8GB volume size limit, as I could see this limit biting our company
in the ass in the future.  We really want OpenAFS because we're
co-locating most of our computing, and will benefit from a large AFS cache
and global filespace.  Right now, everything is smaller than 2GB, but that
_will_ change.

I don't think it would be terribly difficult to maintain backwards
compatibility, although I think using larger file sizes would probably
force people to move to OpenAFS, since AFS 3.6 would have trouble with
them.  Heck, ReiserFS did it - early Reiser filesystems maxed
out at 32-bit file sizes, but newer versions can read old versions, plus
have a 60-bit file size limit.

--
Geoff Silver					<geoff at uslinux dot net>
"Note To Self: Remember to put something witty here later..."