[OpenAFS] Microsoft's DFS

Forrest D. Whitcher fw@mozart.fwsystems.com
Wed, 28 Mar 2001 07:14:50 -0500

Very ugly

Actually 'Dfs' claims to offer pretty similar (if trivial) function as
what AFS / DFS provide.

MS originally released this as free software 4-5 years ago, I don't
know what they've done with it since, I beleive OSF tried to go
after them for the obvious copyright infringement. I don't know
where that went ... from the microsoft site:

 Microsoft Distributed File System :
                            [Microsoft Windows NT Server 4.0; Distributed
                            File System (Dfs); Dfs Administrator's Guide;
                            logical structure; tree structure]

from the win2k mag article: ('96)

Don't confuse Dfs with other distributed file systems used in UNIX
environments (for information about the differences see "Dfs vs. DFS,").
With Dfs, you can build a Dfs name space (or directory tree) so users
view only one directory that spans all the file servers and server shares
in the network, instead of a long list of servers and shares, each with a
separate directory. You can position each network resource in the most
logical place in your Dfs tree, regardless of where it is actually located
in the network. Furthermore, Dfs is only software. No new file systems are
created, so no extra security is required beyond native NT security.
A Dfs volume can increase data availability because you can use multiple
servers (a.k.a. alternate paths) as duplicate storage points for any part
of the Dfs tree.