[OpenAFS] Microsoft's DFS

Nathan Rawling nrawling@firedrake.net
Wed, 28 Mar 2001 07:51:33 -0500 (EST)

Admittedly, it has been many years since I had this argument but...

If I recall correctly, this phrase:

> A Dfs volume can increase data availability because you can use multiple
> servers (a.k.a. alternate paths) as duplicate storage points for any part
> of the Dfs tree.

Does not include the "root" that your clients point to, in order to find
the Dfs tree. This may have changed in later versions (I hope). Probably
you're just supposed to cluster the heck out of that one machine and hope
the network it's on stays up.

<shudder>

To my understading DFS is just SMB that allows you to mount servers shares
on other server shares similar to what any UNIX filesystem will allow you
to do with NFS or anything else. It still has all of the inherent
"features" of SMB like poor performance, weak authentication, and limited
cross-platform capability.

Only more so.

Nathan

--
Nathan Rawling      nrawling@firedrake.net       KC8BOA
"Rome did not create a great empire by having meetings,