[OpenAFS] Howto prevent afs from resetting the system clock?

H.G.Borrmann borrmann@uni-freiburg.de
Wed, 2 May 2001 18:20:05 +0200

> How can I prevent afs from resetting the system clock?
>
> I observed messages about ressetting the system clock on my afs
> clients. I do run a ntp daemon on them so resetting the clock is a
> rather bad idea.

It is a bad idea to run ntp on AFS clients. The cache manager synchronizes
the clock with the AFS servers, which should run runntp. I use the following
configuration:

on the system control machine:

	/usr/afs/bin/runntp -localclock time.uni-freiburg.de

time.uni-freiburg.de is our time server.

On the other servers no parameters are given to the runntp command. See also the
description of runntp in the administrators reference.

H.G.Borrmann
|H.G.Borrmann				|Tel.: (0761) 203-4652		  |
|Rechenzentrum der Universitaet Freiburg|Fax:  (0761) 203-4643		  |
|Hermann-Herder-Str. 10			|email:				  |
|D79104 FREIBURG			|borrmann@ruf.uni-freiburg.de     |