[OpenAFS] PAM module in debian packages?

Sam Hartman hartmans@mit.edu
10 May 2001 15:08:04 -0400

    ckovacs> Last time I tried to compile the sources for a debian
    ckovacs> system I couldn't find the pam module for use with afs
    ckovacs> (no kerberos realm here). This was a while ago and I
    ckovacs> haven't bothered to do it again ( I am still using the
    ckovacs> generic source 1.0.2). Is the basic pam module included
    ckovacs> in the debian packages? If not, why?

The Debian packages very strongly push you towards a setup where you
are using AFS and Kerberos5.  I believe this is the correct setup for
new deployments of AFS and is the direction people should be heading
in.  It also happens to be the only setup I really have resources to
test.

I include kpasswd and klog because doing so is easy and because even
at krb5 sites you might want to klog to a Transarc-only cell.

I'd really rather see people use libpam-krb4 and a krb4 aklog than the
Openafs PAM module, but sadly that isn't packaged in Debian either.

If someone wants to look at the AFS PAM module built by the Debian
packages, make sure it works and make sure it meets the Debian PAM
policy, I would be interested in the results.  If everything is OK,
I'd be happy to create a libpam-openafs-kaserver package  and install
it.