[OpenAFS] FW: TR-62286 Outlook PST files in AFS space

Cameron, Frank cameron@ctc.com
Tue, 15 May 2001 19:52:59 -0400

Anyone think there's a possibility that OpenAFS may support byte-range
locking someday?

-frank

-----Original Message-----
From: Paul Kubis [mailto:kubis@us.ibm.com]
Sent: Tuesday, May 15, 2001 4:11 PM
To: Cameron, Frank
Subject: TR-62286 Outlook PST files in AFS space

Hi Norm,

This has been reported in the past and after some research, we determined
that it was due to a lack of byte-range locking with AFS.  This feature has
been investigated and discussed.  The effort would require significant
changes to the fileserver and some changes on the client side, which we are
unable to commit to. Byte range locking is supported via DFS. This is not a
feature that will be considered for a future release of AFS.

I'm sorry for the bad news.

Regards,

--Paul

Paul Kubis
Staff Software Engineer, AFS Product Support
IBM Pittsburgh Lab, Pittsburgh, PA
(412)281-5852 x7394