[OpenAFS] FW: TR-62286 Outlook PST files in AFS space

Derrick J Brashear shadow@dementia.org
Sun, 20 May 2001 13:02:16 -0400 (EDT)

On 20 May 2001, Derek Atkins wrote:

> The problem is that the _current_ mandate from the OpenAFS Elders is
> that we must remain protocol-compatible with IBM/Transarc AFS.  Now,

IBM is still (trying to) do releases, and they have a far larger deployed
base than we do. The rationale is "Let's not chase away our best
customers"

> it may be possible to implement byte-locks and remain compatible.  Or,
> it may not.  With NFS's Lockd, what happens if your client is running
> version 2 and your server is running version 1?  Does it still work?
> Basically, unless you can come up with a protocol-compatible way to do
> byte-locking then I highly doubt the code would be incorporated into
> the mainline.

Ideally you want byte-range locks for clients that do it, and to make it
look like whole-file locks to clients that don't. I'd have to think very
hard about this to come up with a workable proposal.

-D