[OpenAFS] ...Those That Help Themselves

Ulisses Reina Montenegro ulisses@radix.com
Wed, 30 May 2001 14:39:49 -0300

Mike W Ellwood wrote:

> On 30 May 2001, William Setzer wrote:
>
> > After our own bad experience, reading the number of horror stories
> > being posted to these lists, and hearing from other Universities with
> > similar tales, it has become fairly clear that IBM doesn't really care
> > about AFS, and we are unlikely to see things getting better.  This is
> > a big problem for NCSU, as AFS is a core component of making our
> > academic environment work, and there's really nothing available with
> > which to replace it.  I am certain that many of you are in the same
> > boat.
>

> Is anyone actually running production servers on OpenAFS yet?
>
> If so, on which platforms?

We should be deploying twin OpenAFS servers running on RedHat Linux 7.1
very soon -- works beautifully as a low cost shared-storage solution, at
least for our needs. I shall be playing with higher-end functionalities,
such as terabyte-size data replication between AFS servers and
high-availability, but that shall come at later stage. For now, we are
using it for some 75-100GB data for our web farms.

> Thank you.
>
> Mike Ellwood                                      Mike.Ellwood@rl.ac.uk
>                speaking for himself, and not for:
>                CCLRC Rutherford Appleton Laboratory
>                      Chilton, DIDCOT, Oxon
>                      GB           OX11 0QX
> Tel: 01235-446161                                 Fax:01235-446626

Kind regards,
Ulisses Montenegro

--
Ulisses Reina Montenegro de Albuquerque <ulisses@radix.com.br>