[OpenAFS] ...Those That Help Themselves

Dr A V Le Blanc Dr A V Le Blanc <LeBlanc@mcc.ac.uk>
Thu, 31 May 2001 12:06:38 +0100

On Wed, May 30, 2001 at 05:24:20PM -0700, Russ Allbery wrote:
> In the long term, we currently expect to move to OpenAFS if Transarc's
> support for AFS continues its current decline.  We already expect to be
> moving to OpenAFS on the client side for platforms not supported by
> Transarc.
>
> Replacing AFS with something else is not an option.

Ditto here.  With our AFS mail delivery programs, all the stuff we've
done to support the web farm (now 17 AFS clients running 80 virtual
web servers and a dozen related services), and some 50 gb of data
in x000 volumes, I estimate that it would take about 3 man-years
to move to a similar platform such as Coda, assuming Coda could
stand the load.  (Coda seems to me, as a user of both systems,
to be rather better at resilience than AFS.  But with its poor
management tools and some other problems, I wouldn't really want
to look after a Coda cell of this size.)

The OpenAFS people seem to be active and accommodating, and they
have already sorted out some (small) problems that have been on
Transarc's TODO list for years.  I can guess which way we will
go eventually.

     -- Owen
     LeBlanc@mcc.ac.uk