database servers (was Re: [OpenAFS] ...Those That Help Themselves)

Ed L Cashin ecashin@terry.uga.edu
31 May 2001 15:45:19 -0400

"Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH" <allbery@ece.cmu.edu> writes:

> Harald Barth wrote:
>
> >>Is anyone actually running production servers on OpenAFS yet?
> >>If so, on which platforms?
> > You are a curious one :-) We have one fileservers on a DS10 Tru64
> > 5.0a. The other fileservers are Transarc on Tru64 4.0d and on AIX
> > 4.3.2.
>

> One database server is running OpenAFS on SuSE 7.1.  Currently we only have
>
> OpenAFS deployed on Linux, but I'm getting ready to start work on it for our
>
> other supported platforms as well.

When you all say "database server" are you talking about a server
hosting a relational database, e.g., postgresql?  Or are you saying
that you have a cell with mostly commercial AFS, but the server that
is running the volume database is an openafs server?

I suspect the former, but I just wanted to make sure.  If so, I'm
surprised at how many people are using AFS for I/O intensive
applications like database and mail servers.

--
--Ed Cashin                   PGP public key:
  ecashin@terry.uga.edu       http://www.terry.uga.edu/~ecashin/pgp/