[OpenAFS] AFS without local authentication

Jeremy Katz katzj@redhat.com
30 Nov 2001 15:53:46 -0500

On Fri, 2001-11-30 at 15:42, Ken Hornstein wrote:
> >For systems running Linux, you just set up glibc to use the hesiod
> >nsswitch stuff and glibc appropiately uses hesiod on getpwn*().  For
> >Solaris and other systems with an nsswitch interface, you can do
> >similarly (do a search for nss_hesiod on google, I don't have the link
> >on hand) although some sites just hack /bin/login to add things to
> >/etc/passwd.  *shudder*.  For other systems, how do they handle
> >NIS/LDAP?  You'll want to do something similar for Hesiod.
>
> So, we have Linux and Solaris ... not exactly full operating system
> coverage.  All of the OS's I'm aware of support NIS built-in to the
> C library; I think LDAP guys are in the same boat.

Linux is simple, just add hesiod to /etc/nsswitch.conf and set up
/etc/hesiod.conf.  Solaris is almost as easy, you just have to download
the nss_hesiod module for Solaris and then do the configuration as with
Linux.

Jeremy