[OpenAFS] Unable to stop AFS

David Bear David.Bear@asu.edu
Wed, 03 Oct 2001 10:37:55 -0700 (MST)

I've experienced the same issue with caldera ol 3.1 (kernel 2.4.2) and
openafs 1.1.1 .  Haven't tried to 1.2.1 code yet.

what I have found is the if kfm (the kde file manager) accesses an afs
mount, then afs will refused to stop.  the init.d/afs stop command won't
stop it.  also, the afs daemons that are started will refuse to be killed,
and rmmod will not removed the afs klm.

the funny thing, if I use afs mounts only from command line, I don't seem
to have the same problems with shutting down the afs dameons and unmount
afs volumnes.

I am only use client.

summary, when afs becomes unmountable
1) cant afs stop
2) can kill -9 afsd's
3) cant unmount /usr/vice/cache
4) all umounts will hang
5) only way to regain control is hard reset.