[OpenAFS] OpenAFS How-to's anyplace ?

Marcus Watts mdw@umich.edu
Sun, 07 Oct 2001 19:42:38 -0400

Morgan Henning <morgan@write-way.com> writes:
> This leads to the big question:  Where can I find information on the
> steps necessary to set up a new server ??  Is there a How-to ?

"New server" may not be quite the words you want.  "New cell"
is probably more accurate.  You need to bring up at least
one "database server" which run at least pt,vl and either ka
or some other kerberos server.  If you want to provide
file service, you also need to bring up at least one fileserver,
not necessarily on the same machine.

The file
	/afs/umich.edu/user/m/d/mdw/wp/uniq.2
contains some really ancient notes I wrote on how to bring up a DB
server (with no file service) for some internal testing here at UM.
You can omit anything that says "umich.edu specific".  The notes assume
some familiarity with Unix and AFS -- I haven't bothered to describe
exactly what needs to go inside CellServDB, for instance.  There's
also stuff about some "License" file -- presumably that's historical.

If you want to bring up file service also, then you need to install a
file server stanza in BosConfig, which does not look like the others --
something like
	bnode fs fs 1
	parm /usr/afs/bin/fileserver -nojumbo
	parm /usr/afs/bin/volserver -nojumbo
	parm /usr/afs/bin/salvager
	end
It's also possible to use bos to create stanzas in BosConfig;
I just found it easier to set up the initial ones by hand.

The file
	/afs/umich.edu/user/m/d/mdw/wp/uniq.2
contains some notes on creating an afs v4 service key when using krb5.
This is not sufficient to actually use k5 with afs, but is an important
and hard-to-do step.  There are plenty of other ways to do this, and I
may not have found the most convenient way.

				-Marcus Watts
				UM ITCS Umich Systems Group