[OpenAFS] WindowsNT, non-English Installations

James Peterson jimpeter@us.ibm.com
Mon, 8 Oct 2001 09:57:43 -0700

Below is a statement about doing Non-english Installations for Windows
NT/2000:

> when i try to install OpenAFS 1.1.1a on Microsoft WINDOWS NT SP6 it
fails.
> Error:
>
>    DLL failed
>    Couldn't openC:\TEMP\_INST2.DIR\_INST0.DIR\GetWebDLL.dll
>> A coworker had the same problem.
>> Try the english version. This DLL seems to be missing in the german
>> version.

I'm aware that the install script for Windows NT/2000 allows selection of
non-english languages.  However, when I added the capability to select the
Drive Mapping and the CellServDB to the installation,  I didn't configure
these options to work with the non-english installations.

I would like to know if there are OpenAFS members using these non-english
installations?

If the OpenAFS community is using a non-english installations then there
are a few things that could be done:
   Patch the Install Scripts so it includes a complete set of modules for
   each language.
   Patch Installation dialogue boxes to support each language.
   Test non-english installations.

I can patch the install script (item 1) to support non-english
installations; however, this would still leave english dialog boxes for
non-english installations.

Can someone in the OpenAFS community provide non-english translations for
the dialog boxes (item 2) or confirm non-english installations (item 3)?

For example, these modules should be modified to properly display
non-english text for GetWebDll:
.\config\afs_setup_utils\GetWebDll\GetWebDll.rc
.\config\afs_setup_utils\_isuser\_IsUser.rc

James Peterson
"Integrity is the base of excellence."