[OpenAFS] OpenAFS and FreeBSD

Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH allbery@ece.cmu.edu
Mon, 08 Oct 2001 17:51:00 -0400

On Monday, October 08, 2001 12:41:33 -0400, Nicholas Basila
<nbasila@bottlecapnotes.com> wrote:
+-----
| Hi,
|
|     I was wondering what the status of OpenAFS on FreeBSD is. I managed
| to get version 1.2 to build partially on FreeBSD 4.4-STABLE. I got most,
| if not all of the normal userland tools to build, and they seem to work.
| However, I got a message saying that there was no kernel module
| available. I certainly don't mind building it into the kernel, but that
| didn't seem to work properly. Under src/libafs/STATIC, I found several
+--->8

There is no working OpenAFS kernel module, and therefore no working OpenAFS
client.  The namei-based OpenAFS fileserver (which doesn't need kernel
module support) and the other OpenAFS servers work, but for clients you
still have to use Arla.

There are people actively working on OpenAFS FreeBSD support, but as it's
on a time-available basis nobody can say when the client will work.

--
brandon s. allbery  [os/2][linux][solaris][freebsd]   allbery@kf8nh.apk.net
system administrator   [JAPH][WAY too many hats]        allbery@ece.cmu.edu