[OpenAFS] read/write replication

Tino Schwarze tino.schwarze@informatik.tu-chemnitz.de
Fri, 12 Oct 2001 09:49:47 +0200

Hi there,

On Thu, Oct 11, 2001 at 02:34:24PM -0700, Zachary Denison wrote:
> I am very eager to deploy an OpenAFS cluster.  We have
> 5 different offices in different cities and I want to
> create a large global filesystem so that each office
> has its own local read/write AFS server and any
> changes made to it get immediately propagated to all
> other AFS servers.
>
> In reading the AFS documentation it seems that you can
> only have one read/write server and the rest have to
> be replicated read/only.

It's all about volumes, not servers!

> Is there a way to do have multiple read/write
> replicas?

It is not possible (yet?) to have read/write replicas of volumes.

I do not see a problem there though, you've got 5 offices. Give em all
their own file server. Then have the read/write volumes for each office
on the corresponding file server and the readonly copies on all others.
Of course, a periodical "vos release" would be necessary to update the
ro copies or you'd tell everybody about that.

It's not perfect... you might find http://www.inter-mezzo.org/
interesting which seems to be doing what you want.

Bye, Tino.

--
             * LINUX - Where do you want to be tomorrow? *
                  http://www.tu-chemnitz.de/linux/tag/