[OpenAFS] read/write replication

Derek Atkins warlord@MIT.EDU
12 Oct 2001 08:55:56 -0400

As has already been mentioned, AFS does not handle multiple read-write
volumes.  You can make read-only replicas of a single read-write
volume, but that is only really useful for centralized software
distribution.

I'm still trying to get a handle on the application you're trying to
use.  You say you want read-write volumes at all your sites -- that
seems to imply to me that all of your sites are different
administrative domains, which means to me that each site should
have its own AFS Cell.

You can then have a master cell that is used for cross-replication,
and a daemon that will automatically copy changes back and forth.
Unfortunately this isn't very automated nor is it very real-time.
Then again, neither is the Cloning process in generating RO replicas
of a RW volume.

Another issue with using RW/RO volumes together -- it's VERY difficult
to have site A use the RW and site B use the RO volumes of e.g.
user.warlord if both sites A and B are using the same cell.  The
reason is that mountpoints will cause the client to _ALWAYS_ use the
(single) RW volume, or _ALWAYS_ use the (multiple) RO volumes (if they
exist).

Good Luck,

-derek