[OpenAFS] Trouble Installing OpenAFS 1.2.1 Under RH 2.4.3-12

Computers in Medicine pittmed@mail.com
Mon, 15 Oct 2001 13:35:35 -0400

----- Original Message -----
From: "Derek Atkins"
To: "Computers in Medicine"
Sent: Monday, October 15, 2001 10:12 AM
Subject: Re: [OpenAFS] Trouble Installing OpenAFS 1.2.1 Under RH 2.4.3-12

> Well, the shutdown problem was not fixed in 1.2.1, so upgrading wont help.

Does this mean it's a known bug?  What's the manifestation of it and is
there a way to avoid it?  Is there a known bug list somewhere?

> I bet you upgraded from 1.1.1 to 1.2.1 via 'rpm -i' instead of
> 'rpm -U', didn't you?

According to my .bash_history, the command was

rpm -Uvh openafs-1.2.1-24.7.1.1.i386.rpm
openafs-client-1.2.1-24.7.1.1.i386.rpm
 openafs-devel-1.2.1-24.7.1.1.i386.rpm
openafs-kernel-1.2.1-24.7.1.1.i386.rpm op
enafs-kernel-source-1.2.1-24.7.1.1.i386.rpm
openafs-server-1.2.1-24.7.1.1.i386.r
pm

> You can try running:
> rpm --force -e openafs openafs-kernel openafs-client ...
>
> (where ... is all the other openafs RPMs that you have installed)

rpm --force -e openafs openafs-kernel openafs-client openafs-devel
openafs-kernel-source openafs-server

Gave this error:

rpm: only installation, upgrading, rmsource and rmspec may be forced

Actually I was able to reinstall openafs-1.2.1 from RPMs using --force, then
uninstall them, and then reinstall them using -i and now it works.

> I have no idea why you got that %preun error..  The script looks like
> this:
>
> %preun
> if [ $1 = 0 ] ; then
>        /etc/rc.d/init.d/afs stop
>        chkconfig --del afs
>        [ -d /afs ] && rmdir /afs
> fi
>
> So I can't see where this could be a problem (unless, perhaps, $1 != 0)?

Sorry but I'm too much of a newbie to know what to make of this.  How does
the value of $1 in this script get set?  Although it's working now I'd be
interested in knowing so I have a better idea where to look myself if it
happens again.

> You might want to wait for the next release of OpenAFS (1.2.2).

Any idea when this may be, and what will be changed?  We'd like to get this
server into production fairly soon, but we'd like it to be stable, so if
1.2.2 is going to fix any serious bugs we might wait.

Thanks!