[OpenAFS] case insensitivity in PTS names

Jeffrey Hutzelman jhutz@cmu.edu
Fri, 19 Oct 2001 19:32:34 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 18 Oct 2001, Ted Anderson wrote:

> On Thu, 4 Oct 2001 09:22:20 -0700 "Shyh-Wei Luan" <luan@almaden.ibm.com> wrote:
> > What is the rationale for the PTS names to be case insensitive,
>
> I don't know.  I found code in ptuser.c:pr_CreateUser and in
> ptprocs.c:WhoIsThis that lower case the names.  This feature is as old
> as the hills; it was in the oldest code I could find:
>     ptuser.c,v 2.11 1991/08/09 13:32:26 vasilis
>     ptprocs.c,v 2.6 1991/08/09 13:32:21 vasilis
>
> My guess is that Sherri Nichols just thought it would reduce user
> problems and confusion.  I don't remember any discussion of it, but that
> doesn't say much.

Hm.  It wasn't always that way, but it has been for a very long time:

The stolower call in ptuser.c:pr_CreateUser appears here:
revision 1.5
date: 88/12/21 12:27:05;  author: smn;  state: Exp;  lines added/del: 219/26
Numerous changes and bug fixes, including the capabilities to change name
and owner, and specify a cell to pr_Initialize.  Also added kerberos
security class prserver.

The lcstring call in WhoIsThis was present when that function was moved to
ptprocs.c in v1.21.  It actually appears to have been added by YOU, two
days earlier, in v1.14 of utils.c:

revision 1.21
date: 89/08/02 12:54:44;  author: ota;  state: Exp;  lines added/del: 61/8
Moved WhoIsThis here.
Checked more error codes.
Changed AddToEntry to pass entry by reference.
Allow specification of group id in noAuth mode.

revision 1.14
date: 89/06/08 14:13:14;  author: ota;  state: Exp;  lines added/del: 40/29
Fixed bug with making group its own owner.
Improved WhoIsThis to lowercase name, and include non-null instances

   Sr. Research Systems Programmer