AW: [OpenAFS] Which filesystems for vicep on linux

Hartmut Reuter reuter@rzg.mpg.de
Mon, 22 Oct 2001 12:52:44 +0200

"Mayr, Johannes" wrote:

> > Out of curiosity, why would you want to use AFS on top of GFS? All my
> > experiences with GFS have been negative, mostly because I
> > can't seem to make
> > it fast.
>
> We have 5 cluster machines connected to a single storage with fibre channel
> scsi controllers. GFS allows us to access the same filesystem from every
> single machine. That was our starting point. We set up AFS on top of GFS to
> get a caching filesystem for our client machines. Two server machines should
> work as *clustered* AFS servers. They should have the same setup and access
> the same vice partitions and they should be accessed through one single
> (cluster)ip address. This was our intention but unfortunately we failed with
> the first machine setup.

You never should have running two independent fileservers on the same
partitions because all the locking of vnodes and volumes is done in
memory. Your configuration may be good as a fast fallback solution, but
never run them simultanously!

The other question is whether the GFS overhead of synchronizing the view
of the partition on all machines wouldn't break performance of your
fileserver.

Hartmut