[OpenAFS] Openafs 1.1.1a on win2k/globally mapped afs drives

T. Matthew Cocker matt@cs.auckland.ac.nz
Tue, 30 Oct 2001 12:28:12 +1300

Hi

A while back I posted to the list about problems I was having with openafs
(1.0.4 and 1.1.1a) on win2k clients. We are running a kerberized cell with
the MIT Krb5 servers running on separate machines from AFS database
servers. The MIT krb5 servers were added to the afsdcell.ini file for the
client to find them for authentication. Unfortunately the AFSD process
would shutdown all the time and often would not restart until the machine
was rebooted. I have managed to stop the afs client shutdown I was having
on Win2k by installing an MIT kerberos server on one of the AFS database
server and removing the standalone MIT krb5 servers from the afsdcell.ini
file. The afsd process seemed to be requesting volserver information from
the standalone MIT krb5 servers and stopping (or failing to start) when it
didn't get it (we would see lots of one way network traffic to the krb
servers on the volserver port, followed by afsd shutting down). Anyway afs
now seems to stay running.

The other problem I am having is with creating globally mapped drives. I
want to create permanent network shares on the win2k machines for admin use
but the feature does not seem to work. If I add a drive (say N: at \afs) I
get no N: network drive showing up in "net use" output but I get a
"Disconnected Network Drive (N:)" icon in My Computer that I can not delete
or disconnect with out uninstalling OpenAFS. Any idea how I can get rid of
these icons? Is this a broken option in the openafs client?

Cheers,

Matt Cocker