[OpenAFS] Samba Gateway Update

Cameron, Frank cameron@ctc.com
Thu, 6 Sep 2001 16:10:55 -0400

> Do you have some documentation or installation/configuration=20
> transcript of what
> you did? I'd be very interested in a SMB2AFS gateway. If you=20
> don't have
> documentation I'd be glad to create some - when you tell me,=20
> what you did :-)
>=20
> by
> T=F6ns
> --
> There is no safe distance.

Here's a brief overview of what I did.  I'm CC'ing the list
in case anyone else is curious now or later.

*)  Installed base OS and AFS client software
    - OS: I've used SlackWare 8 and RedHat 7.1
    - Client: I've used OpenAFS 1.1.1 (plus headers / libraries)

*)  Grabbed Samba 2.1.1a sources and AFS RPC patch
    - AFS RPC patch at http://www22.brinkster.com/jvrobert/

*)  Applied patch to Samba sources and attempted compile
    - ./configure --with-afs ; make

*)  Had trouble linking smbd
    - Modified Samba Makefile:
        LIBS=3D -ldl -lnsl -lcrypt -lssl -lcrypto -lresolv \
              -L/usr/afsws/lib -L/usr/afsws/lib/afs -lkauth \
              -lprot -lubik -laudit -lauth -lrxkad -lsys -ldes \
              -lrx -llwp -lcom_err /usr/afsws/lib/afs/util.a
    - Recompiled
    - (I've had this same problem in the past when compiling
      samba with-afs on FreeBSD, Linux, and Irix.)

*)  Installed Samba
    - Configured a share for FOO cell:
        [CELLNAME]
          comment =3D FOO AFS Cell
          browseable =3D yes
          writeable =3D yes
          path =3D /afs/CELLNAME

*)  Copied files to Clients
    - smbklog.exe
    - From Transarc client:
        kpasswd.exe
        afsauthent.dll
        afsrpc.dll
        pthread.dll
        afsdcell.ini
    - Special file
        afscell.reg
        HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\
          SYSTEM\
            CurrentControlSet\
              Services\
                TransarcAFSDaemon\
                  Parameters
                      "Cell"=3D"CELLNAME"
    - The EXE's and DLL's should be O.K. anywhere in the %PATH%
    - The INI file went in %SYSTEMROOT%
    - The REG file just needs merged so kpasswd knows local cell

*)  Configure a persistent mapped drive on client
    - net use U: \\SAMBASERVER\CELLNAME\users /persistent:yes

*)  Create desktop shortcut to smbklog and place in startup group

-frank