[OpenAFS] Fault tolerance in AFS

Shyh-Wei Luan luan@almaden.ibm.com
Fri, 14 Sep 2001 11:50:54 -0700

--0__=07BBE054DFF670D68f9e8a93df938690918c07BBE054DFF670D6

Craig,

I think you meant "fs checkv" or "fs checkvolumes" here ...   I think an
automatic "fs checkvol" equivalent action can be taken by the client to
find the potential new servers.

BTW, We have experimented using Fibre Channel SAN to allow the vice
partitions to be accessible from multiple AFS file servers, but with only
one of them actively serving any particular partition.   When any server
fails, one of the other servers can start serving the vice partitions of
the failed server.   We also tried having a standby server taking over the
failed server's network identity.   Either scheme should be able to take
care of server hardware failure very well and keep the server downtime
minimal.

Shyh-Wei

Craig_Everhart@transarc.com@openafs.org on 09/14/2001 07:29:49 AM

Sent by:    openafs-info-admin@openafs.org