[OpenAFS] Lost files

Pär Aronsson par.aronsson@nohup.se
Mon, 17 Sep 2001 14:28:02 +0200

Hello everyone.

I have some really bad trouble with OpenAFS. A number of times I have
lost all files in my home directory.

What happens is that all of the files are suddenly missing when I log
in. When I do a "fs lq ." in my home directory it reports what seams to
be a correct amount of data, but "ls -las" show me nothing. I have done
salvage without result. I have tried accessing the volume using my own
kerberos ticket, admin ticket and no ticket.

I have tried mounting the .backup volume and the rw volume in different
places and I've tried with the volume in the dump. So it seams something
happens before the dump is made. Please note we use "vos dump" to a file
rather than "backup dump" to tape.

I have experimented with different versions of AFS (both OpenAFS and
Transarc AFS) on the client, the server has been upgraded when new
OpenAFS releases has been made available. This problem has happend every
two months or so since OpenAFS 1.0 was released. Since then the OS has
been upgraded as well.

I'm the only one in the office with this problem, so it seams either I'm
doing something bad or my harware does.

Has enyone else experienced this and is there a solution?

TIA
Pär Aronsson

Here is a list of current software.

Client.
Client is RedHat 7.1 (all upgrades) and a vanilla 2.4.6 kernel, vanilla
OpenAFS built in the running the kernel.

bash-2.04$ uname -mrs
Linux 2.4.6 i686
bash-2.04$ rxdebug localhost 7001 -v
Trying 127.0.0.1 (port 7001):
AFS version:  OpenAFS 1.1.1 built  2001-07-22

Server.
Server is RedHat 7.1 (all upgrades) and a vanilla 2.4.7 kernel, vanilla
OpenAFS built in the running kernel.

bash-2.04$ uname -mrs
Linux 2.4.7 i686
bash-2.04$ rxdebug localhost 7001 -v
Trying 127.0.0.1 (port 7001):
AFS version:  OpenAFS 1.1.1 built  2001-07-26