[OpenAFS] AFS over NAT

Tino Schwarze tino.schwarze@informatik.tu-chemnitz.de
Wed, 7 Aug 2002 10:20:31 +0200

On Tue, Aug 06, 2002 at 09:32:50PM -0400, Ray Link wrote:

> > Second, you still have the timeout issue.
>
> Easy enough to fix with any sane NAT box.  My ipchains/ipmasq box does
> this with a single command.  If your Linux NAT box is running ipchains,
> the following will work for you:
>
> /sbin/ipchains -M -S <TCP> <post-FIN TCP> <UDP>
>
> Where the items between the < > are timeouts, in seconds, for TCP
> sessions, TCP sessions after a "FIN" packet is received, and UDP
> sessions.  I believe something around 10 minutes is recommended for
> the UDP timeouts, so as to not break the AFS callbacks.  If you're not
> using ipchains, I'm sure iptables has similar functionality.

The UDP timeout needs to be more than 10 minutes. Unfortunately,
iptables does _not_ support altering masq timeouts. This also affects
the ipchains compatibility code since that is not a real ipchains
implementation but uses iptables infrastructure.

The timeout can be altered by looking for "#define UDP.*TIMEOUT" in the
appropiate kernel source directory and setting the value higher (default
is three minutes IIRC).

Bye, Tino.

--
             * LINUX - Where do you want to be tomorrow? *
                  http://www.tu-chemnitz.de/linux/tag/