[OpenAFS] shared means one fs shared or many fs synchronized?

Tino Schwarze tino.schwarze@informatik.tu-chemnitz.de
Wed, 21 Aug 2002 11:38:33 +0200

On Wed, Aug 21, 2002 at 11:29:08AM +0200, Emiliano Bruni wrote:

> Maybe i misunderstand afs philosophy...I need to have two server A and B
> with a fs shared, that is a fs where contents are duplicated, are the same
> and stay in sync all over time. If one of servers, says A, goes down then B
> must continue to work well using data in its fs shared. I like too that,
> when A come back up, it should synchronized with contents changed in B to
> return in sync too.
>
> Does OpenAFS do this?

No, it does not provide transparent real-time mirroring of volumes.
There is only one RW-volume which needs to be manually synched with the
RO-clones via "vos release $volume".

> I've configure two afs server in a cell (A and B. A has an ip lower then B)
> and a shared fs between A and B and all works fine as long as A is up. If I
> shutdown A then /afs in B is unaccessible. Is this a normal behaviour?

You should have a RO-clone of root.afs and root.cell on every file
server. Heavily used paths which change seldomly should always have RO
clones to balance file server load and increase reliability.

Bye, Tino.

--
             * LINUX - Where do you want to be tomorrow? *
                  http://www.tu-chemnitz.de/linux/tag/