[OpenAFS] Small suggestion for RH spec file?

Deniz Akkus Kanca deniz@arayan.com
Sun, 29 Dec 2002 13:16:07 +0200

Paz 29 Ara 2002 :40 tarihinde, Nathan Neulinger şunları yazmıştı:
> Some sites seem to want to NOT have afs be a global filesystem. I can
> understand not wanting to export your own to the world, but seems less
> than useful to not have access to all the others.

It is easy enough to change the behavior of the SRPM, as we have been doing,
therefore I will not lobby for that change.

The site I am involved with does not use AFS as a global filesystem. They see
AFS as a robust internal file serving mechanism, period.  They also have
concerns about internal users and restrict outside http and mail access to
those with a business need. Within that kind of framework, you don't want the
user accessing global AFS. Currently the AFS world seems free of the types of
rogue http and ftp servers that have sprung up, but if it grows wider, there
will be MP3 and pirated software serving AFS sites at some point. And then
you've got the world coming to your door about company harboring pirated
software, dealing with viruses and wondering where your bandwidth is gone...

I do think back fondly on a friendlier, nicer Internet, but I am afraid it is
long gone.

Best regards,
Deniz