[OpenAFS] multi homed servers

Todd_DeSantis@transarc.com Todd_DeSantis@transarc.com
Thu, 7 Feb 2002 15:44:08 -0500 (EST)

Hi Mike:

> The problem I have is when I try and replicate a  volume to the
> machine specifing the name of the world interface it fails if I try
> and list volumes using the name of the world interface the output
> show the name of the private interface.
>
> Does anyone know what is causing this behavior?

When the fileserver starts, it registers its IP addresses into the
VLDB.  And the IP addresses are listed in order within this VLDB
entry.  So the 10.x.x.x IP must be the first address that is returned
from the ifconfig call, or the internal call that AFS makes to grab
the IPs available to this machine.

Most vos commands will default to this first IP address and only use
it, even though it is multi-homed.  If the specific vos command you
are running has a -server option, the vos command will do things based
on that IP.

You have 2 options -

 - physically mess with the network interfaces so that the 10.x.x.x
   address is not listed first.  Then when the fileserver registers
   itself, the order will be changed in the VLDB and things will
   work for you much better.

 - create the NetInfo file in the /usr/afs/local directory and
   place the IP in the order you want
	1xx.x.x.x
	10.x.x.x
   Again, this NetInfo file should take on the order of the
   IP addresses for you.

   And if you don't want the fileserver to use the 10.x.x.x
   address at all, then don't list it.

   This is probably the easier method for a quick test.

Thanks

Todd