[OpenAFS] Backup

Martin Schulz schulz@iwrmm.math.uni-karlsruhe.de
19 Feb 2002 17:01:34 +0100

Turbo Fredriksson <turbo@bayour.com> writes:

> I'd like to setup a backup system, but what directory should
> be backed up?

AFS comes with its own backup system and works on a per-volume basis,
not per-file or per-directory. Basically, you create a read-only
snapshot of the volumes in question (or all), these are called backup
volumes.  It is handy to do so with a nightly cron job and make these
backup volumes available for the users so that they can acess
yesterdays files without bothering the admin.

Second, collection of such volumes are defined as well as backup
hierarchies. This is then used to put the volumes to tape(s), either
with full or incremental dumps (according to the hierarchy and
dumplevel).

There are two chapters in the AFS admin guide on the AFS backup
system; somewhat lengthy but nevertheless not so clear in all
details. I am myself tinkering to fully understand the system.

Yours,
--
Martin Schulz                             schulz@iwrmm.math.uni-karlsruhe.de
Uni Karlsruhe, Institut f. wissenschaftliches Rechnen u. math. Modellbildung