[OpenAFS] Viewing files through Gnome

Jack Neely slack@quackmaster.net
Mon, 15 Jul 2002 10:32:15 -0400

On Sun, Jul 14, 2002 at 07:50:20PM -0500, Jack Britton wrote:
> I have afs up and running.  I can access /afs/cellname/home/username
> after logging in with klog.  I have set my user up with all permissions
> except for administer.  When I traverse the file structure all is well
> until I get into my user's home directory on the afs server.  When I
> select a file through Nautilus in Gnome the file disappears.  Do I have
> something set up wrong???
>
> Jack

This problem actually has nothing to do with AFS.  Nautilus uses a
utility called fam to monitor files for changes.  Fam is quite broken by
design and with AFS just doesn't work because there's no way to run the
daemon with the authentication of the user.  Stop fam by doing a

        chkconfig sgi_fam off

and see if that doesn't clear up the problems.  Also, it seems to work
with the rights for anyuser set to 'l'.

As a side note, are you running Red Hat Linux with the default Gnome
user environment?  Have you seen the problems with GConf?  That /IS/ an
AFS problem.  GConf depends on proper file locking via fcntl() which
simply doesn't work right.  Are these locking issues being worked on?
They are quite a misfeature that is causing me, and others, lots of
pain.

Jack Neely

--
Jack Neely <slack@quackmaster.net>
Linux Realm Kit Administration and Development