[OpenAFS] Split Samba Server mess. How to do?

pac pax@flure.pair.com
Mon, 15 Jul 2002 15:58:54 -0400

   Hi,

    I'm new to the list.

  First i'l like to say hi.
  ------------------------
  Second I have a situation I'd like some advice with.
  ------------------------
   We have a set of 4 servers A,B,C,D that have data which gets
  smbmounted to a linux system. The reason A-D exist is that they found
  a single server running samba could not handle all the data. Getting
  hit by 50 windows users at a time would bring down a single server..
  Never mind that the smbmount point server is out of data and slow.

  I want to suggest a solution using OpenAFS that is going to be fast enough.
   Think i can reduce A-D to a single server or pair of servers?
 ------------------------
  Thirdly, what is the status of file replication, and what type of
   data throughput can OpenAFS handle?
 ------------------------
  Lastly, is there a faq that describes what hardware/OS OpenAFS will work on?
  I didn't see this in the docs..

 Thanks,

 -Phil Carinhas
 --