[OpenAFS] Starting xinetd without AFS

Madhusudan Singh chhabra@eecs.umich.edu
Fri, 31 May 2002 23:20:05 +0000

Derek Atkins wrote:

> Madhusudan Singh <chhabra@eecs.umich.edu> writes:
>
> > Derek Atkins wrote:
> >
> > > AFS does not start from xinetd.  It's started as a initscript.
> > >
> > > Your best bet is to still run AFS all the time, but to run afsd
> > > with -dynroot to it will startup when you are off-net.
> > >
> > > -derek
> >
> > You mean -dynroot does *not* start afs when I am offline ?
>
> No, -dynroot will dynamically create /afs so you don't need
> to be online in order to find the root.afs volume to populate
> /afs.  In other words, if you configure afsd to run with -dynroot
> then you can safely start AFS at any time, whether you are online
> OR offline.
>
> -derek

So what happens if I am :

1. Online ?
2. Connected on a home network and can access the net indirectly (through
DHCP and IP Masq) ?

I found a way to solve the problem using quickswitch :

When my online profile is used (I am using quickswitch) I start afs in rc.local,
but otherwise, I have removed it using chkconfig.

However there is a problem :

My /etc/pam.d/login :

auth       sufficient   /lib/security/pam_afs.krb.so try_first_pass ignore_root
auth       required     /lib/security/pam_securetty.so
auth       required     /lib/security/pam_stack.so service=system-auth
auth       required     /lib/security/pam_nologin.so
account    required     /lib/security/pam_stack.so service=system-auth
password   required     /lib/security/pam_stack.so service=system-auth
session    required     /lib/security/pam_stack.so service=system-auth
session    optional     /lib/security/pam_console.so

The issue now is that I get a truckload of rx: cannot connect type errors. (My
home directory exists on the laptop and I had assigned a non-AFS password to it
(there is an entry in /etc/passwd) ).

Is there a way in which I can make pam_afs.krb.so to have a timeout so that it
proceeds to the next line in /etc/pam.d ?

Thanks.

MS

PS : You might want to set a Reply To field to openafs-info@openafs.org in your
mail client.