[OpenAFS] Starting xinetd without AFS

Derek Atkins warlord@MIT.EDU
31 May 2002 23:42:20 -0400

Before I answer your specific questions, I should point out that
the benefit you get from dynroot is SOLELY that /afs is created
dynanically instead of using the root.afs volume.  In my mind, the
real benefit is that you can _start_ AFS at any time, regardless of
your network condition.  The rest of AFS, and how it works, is not
affected by -dynroot.

Having said that....

Madhusudan Singh <chhabra@eecs.umich.edu> writes:

> So what happens if I am :
>
> 1. Online ?

Everything works normally.  You probably would never notice the
difference.

> 2. Connected on a home network and can access the net indirectly (through
> DHCP and IP Masq) ?

Provided that your IP Masq UDP Timeouts are large enough, this should
work fine, too.  Just make sure your UDP timeouts are on the order of
20 minutes or so, to make sure that you don't lose AFS Callbacks.

> My /etc/pam.d/login :

PAM is unrelated to AFS.

> The issue now is that I get a truckload of rx: cannot connect type
> errors. (My home directory exists on the laptop and I had assigned a
> non-AFS password to it (there is an entry in /etc/passwd) ).

I suspect this is from pam_afs.so.  What I would recommend, in your
case, is to ignore PAM completely and use klog and/or kinit/aklog by
hand to authenticate to AFS.

> Is there a way in which I can make pam_afs.krb.so to have a timeout
> so that it proceeds to the next line in /etc/pam.d ?

I have no idea.  Sorry.

> Thanks.
>
> MS
>
> PS : You might want to set a Reply To field to
> openafs-info@openafs.org in your mail client.

Why?  reply-to-all will do the right thing.  Unlike some people I
don't care if mail is sent to both me and the list -- my mail reader
will notice the duplicate message ID and only show me the first copy.

-derek