[OpenAFS] anon FTP upload directory ACL

Chuck Boeheim boeheim@SLAC.Stanford.EDU
Sat, 01 Jun 2002 20:25:49 -0700 (PDT)

We have run our anonymous incoming directory at SLAC in AFS for
years.  The ACLs are:

Access list for . is
Normal rights:
  system:administrators rlidwka
  system:authuser rlidwk
  system:anyuser li

Remote users are able to deposit files, and users here can retrieve
them.  The instructions we provide to users are at
http://www.slac.stanford.edu/comp/unix/ftp.html.
We can testify that this works pretty well.

We do two additional things to make this work well.  One is to
run a cron job frequently to change the owner of any anonymously
created directory and fix up any bad ACLs that creep in,
and the other automatically deletes files after three days to
keep it tidy.

We've considered the default admin privilege of the owner of a
directory to be a bug for years, and have requested a number of
times that Transarc change it as a security hole.  They've never
seen it the same way that we have.

Chuck Boeheim    Stanford Linear Accelerator Center     650-926-4640
SLAC Computing Services Assistant Director Boeheim@SLAC.Stanford.Edu
Contact info & PGP key:        http://www.slac.stanford.edu/~boeheim