[OpenAFS] Partial replication

Derek Atkins warlord@MIT.EDU
05 Jun 2002 09:27:48 -0400

Turbo Fredriksson <turbo@bayour.com> writes:

> When we are on the subject, I think I remember (when I read the Admin
> guide a couple of months ago) that the 'replicas' are read-only. Did
> I misunderstand/misread that part? A read-only 'replica/slave' isn't
> of any use... ?

Sure it is.  A lot of system software is quazi-static, so having
read-only replication is perfectly acceptable.  Obviously this
doesn't help for homedirs, but "/usr/local" works great. :)

Similarly, /afs, /afs/cell, /afs/cell/user, and other core cell
directories can/should be replicated, because your volume set is also
quazistatic.

-derek