[OpenAFS] Partial replication

Charles Clancy security@xauth.net
Wed, 5 Jun 2002 08:15:32 -0500 (CDT)

> When we are on the subject, I think I remember (when I read the Admin
> guide a couple of months ago) that the 'replicas' are read-only. Did
> I misunderstand/misread that part? A read-only 'replica/slave' isn't
> of any use... ?

RO replicas are useful if you have RO data.  So for example, if you shared
your /usr/local directory among all your machines via AFS, that would be
more-or-less RO data, and it would be nice to have such data around after
a server crash.  Home directories, on the other hand, don't work too well
as RO, so they usually aren't replicated.

In the past, I've used the following setup: 3 AFS servers, with the system
binaries (i.e. /usr/local) replicated across all three.  Then, 1/3 of the
user home directories on each server.  That way if a server went down,
only 1/3 of the users were affected, and none of the system binaries were
affected.

[  t charles clancy  ]-[  tclancy@uiuc.edu  ]-[  uiuc.edu/~tclancy  ]